WIP Wednesday, What Two Days with No Wi-Fi Results In

For the past two days, as the title of the post says, the wi-fi was down. Due to this, I got a ton of knitting time in, and now have 80 rows of this shawl [link] done.

20190522_0826516838845806336135849.jpg

As you can see, the pattern has changed quite a bit. I added the garter section, thinking that I could go back to the lace after a bit…only to discovered that I’d added stitches????? Somehow?????

Since my choices were to either rip back at least 10 rows of work, or continue on with a new pattern, I’ve decided to continue on with the new (improvised) pattern. Right now I’ve gone back to garter stitches, but I want to do something fancier at the end of the shawl. I’m thinking about adding some eyelet rows at the end, but I’ll see what happens when I get there.

Advertisements

Knitting: Third Attempt AT Lace

My last knitting project [link] turned out to really not work, so I ended up going to the LYS yesterday to get some more yarn. I got some lovely blue/green yarn in a baby alpaca/bamboo blend, it’s super soft and pretty.

20190518_114617588002327975179696.jpg

The project is Maggie’s Old Shale Shawl [link], and I love how the pattern looks like water, especially with these colors in the yarn I picked.  It’s going to be a project with Trev in mind, since blue and green are two of his favorite colors.

This project is my third attempt at lace, and so far it’s much easier than my other two lace disasters.  Only one row has the lace pattern, the rest is knits and purls, making this an ideal project for a lace piece I might actually get to finish.

New Knitting Project; Improvised Shawl

Since finishing the baby blanket, I wanted a new project that wasn’t on a loom. So, armed with the pattern I wanted, I headed to the LYS yesterday. I bought two different textured yarns; the silver yarn is bamboo, and the lavender yarn is merino wool.

20190517_0843265496504780932939458.jpg
[Image description: three balls of yarn, one silver bamboo, two lavender Merino wool, sitting on a brown couch]
I sat down with my pattern…and quickly discovered that it would be better worked up in a DK or worsted weight yarn (the recommended yarn, while giving a nice halo effect, was also way more expensive than i was wiling to pay.) I had bought six skeins of sport weight yarn, and now had no idea what to do with them.

 

After a break to unravel, I decided to try and hold two strands of the lavender yarn together, since I’d forgotten how *thin* sock weight yarn is…and found that I loved it. I always try and learn new techniques when I knit, and I’ve decided that doubling up strands of yarn will be what I learn with this project.

FO Friday, First Blanket!

Last night I finished the baby blanket [link]!  Binding it off felt like it took forever, but I had a few episodes of Chopped to keep me company as I slowly worked on the bindoff.

20190509_191554

Note to self; next time you have a seed stitch border, do a final row of knit stitch before binding off.

I will say that this project got tedious at times, but it was both interested enough to hold my interest, but simple enough that I could listen to music or a podcast while working on it.

I’ve Started Loom Knitting

In the Otherworlds, one of Jake’s monastery brothers made a knitting loom for me as a wedding present.  I was looking up what the looms are like (and loom knitting had been recommended to me before) when I found one for a good price, thanks to the sale that was going on.  The loom is adjustable, so it can be changed for any size of project I’d want to make on it, which is really cool.

20190411_1634213930959831631778082.jpg
 The lighting isn’t the best, but this is my blanket so far.

The loom arrived two days before my and Jake’s wedding.  After several YouTube videos, I got the basic e-wrap stitch learned, and I know how to purl on the loom as well.   The part of loom knitting I struggled with at the beginning was the tension–I’m a tight knitter when I’m using traditional knitting needles, but loom knitting needs to be loose.

I cast on a blanket that I had the yarn for (which led to Jake’s dad making terrible “tying the knot” puns as I worked on the blanket) and so far I really like how it’s turning out. I’ve found that loom knitting really *can* be faster than needle knitting, as long as the tension is right. If I was working on this blanket (105 stitches a row, in worsted weight yarn) on traditional knitting needles, I would be getting a row or two done a day–with my loom, I’ve gotten 24 rows done in three days.

WIP Wednesday, First Blanket

I’m currently knitting a baby blanket for a family member and her son, and so far I’m very happy with how it’s going.

wp-15543019779294282912240970855399.jpg

Knit with leftover yarn from this hat [link], and this is the first two sections (out of five.)  I’m currently on pause, because I know I’m going to run out of yarn…and the yarn, as far as I can tell, has been discontinued.  I got in at a discount bin, so I’m pretty sure it’s all gone from the store.  I looked online, but couldn’t find the yarn at all.

What I did was order some super bulky yarn off Amazon that’s from a different brand, and in a different color.  What I plan on doing is making the third section into a striped pattern, so it looks like the color change was intentional, then switch to the second color.

This is based off of this pattern [link].  I ended up changing the border from 14 rows to 6, and I’ve switched the border on the side from seed stitch to garter stitch.  I could knit the seed stitch in a long row just fine, but keeping track of it in the side border was difficult.  So far, I’m happy with the change, but I think I’ll knit the final border in seed stitch.